FRIED POTATOES AND ONIONS :
Tips and Tricks for Fried Potatoes and Onion
- You are going to ask if you can use some other oil. The answer is yes you can use a different oil – however, peanut oil and butter have a wonderful taste that is true south.
- Can I use a different potato? The answer is – yes. Use any potato you like
- You are also going to ask if you have to peel the potato or not. The answer is – whatever tastes good to you. I like to use red potatoes because the skin is thin and you almost never have to peel it off. I don’t like peeling potatoes – so that is a great plus in my book.
- Do you have to soak the potatoes in salted water? No, you don’t have to – but it works better if you do.
- Southern Fried Potatoes and Onions are terrific when made from already baked potatoes. Mr. Loaves and Dishes use a lot of our leftover baking potatoes this way!
- What about other seasonings? Use what you like – you might want to try some garlic salt!
- One important thing – this is VERY IMPORTANT – oil and water do not mix. Hot oil and water can start a fire. MAKE SURE TO DRY THE POTATOES OFF VERY WELL BEFORE PUTTING THEM IN THE HOT OIL!
- The cooking time is variable depending on your potato – how thickly you slice them – the type, etc. Cook them until they are browned the way you like – if you like a mushier potato then cook for a shorter time – if you like a more crunchy potato then cook for a longer time.
- It is important to add the salt as soon as you remove from the oil. The salt will stick to the oil but that oil will drain off shortly and then you have missed your window of opportunity.
To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients:
FRIED POTATOES AND ONIONS RECIPE
- Enough peanut oil to wet the entire bottom of your pan
- 2 tbs unsalted sweet cream butter
- 1 lb Idaho Russet or Red potatoes (I like Reds – but that is just a personal preference)
- Salted water
- ½ medium sized sweet onion like Vidalia
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Garnish with paprika and fresh basil
TURN TO THE NEXT PAGE TO READ INSTRUCTIONS