- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract*
- zest of 1 large lemon or use 1 and 1/2 lemons if you don’t have lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup buttermilk sour cream works too
- 1 cup powdered sugar add more until desired consistency is reached
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cream or milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan, or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
- In a separate bowl beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy – this will take at least 3 minutes.
- Mix in the eggs 1 at a time. Then mix in the vanilla extract, optional lemon extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- With the mixer on low speed, mix in about 1/2 of the flour mixture followed by about 1/2 of the buttermilk. Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the flour mixture and buttermilk.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes. It will be done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean and the top feels firm to the touch. If after about 30-40 minutes the top is browning too much, tent a piece of aluminum foil over top and continue baking.
- Cool the loaf fully before icing (otherwise, the icing will melt through the cake and run off the sides).
- In a medium bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and cream/milk until smooth. Add in more powdered sugar or cream as needed for desired consistency.
- Remove the cooled loaf from the pan and drizzle or pour over top.
*Optional. The lemon extract will make the flavor more similar to the Starbucks version.